Merlot Skin Care

Recently I was given the opportunity to review Merlot Skincare's products. I had never heard of the company, but I knew that Grapes and Grape Seeds are meant to be healthy for you and that antioxidants were involved. So, I saw this as a great excuse to not only try a new product, but to finally review what antioxidants are and how they work.

Now, if you've read the review I did on antioxidants the other day in preparation for this review, you'll know that you are NOT likely to see fast (meaning 1-2 weeks) results from antioxidants, even from the most proven one, Vitamin A and it's derivatives known as Retinoids. You also know that I'm not sure that you will be able to see fast results, but that it certainly won't hurt you to use an antioxidant everyday. I think that in 10 years you will be glad you did. Even though there is not much evidence for topical use of grape related antioxidants, there is a lot of evidence for them as very powerful antioxidants overall, and that is enough for me!

Having said all of that preamble, I did enjoy trying out these products. While I know that it can't have been the antioxidants that I saw making a difference, I did feel "glowy" while using these products! I also love that these products are pretty affordable and in large sizes. While they aren't likely to be in your local Target, you can buy them easily on-line. What more could a girl ask for?

Merlot Skin Care Grape Seed Moisturizer
This lotion is purple. Really, it is. But, have no fear, because you can't tell once it's in your skin! It smells very faintly of grapes (all of the products do actually, I really like this feature), and it both looks like and has the texture of blueberry yogurt! It sinks into the skin immediately, feels silky and I swear it really did make my skin glow (rather than look like an oil slick). This is a surprisingly light moisturizer, and I think it would be well suited for most skin types.

Notice that little jar on top of the big jar.... It really does come that way. I have a little travel size of my own now too!

Ingredients (for help, refer to the moisturizer post for help):
• Water
• Grape Seed Polyphenols (This is the first company that I have seen do this, their big active ingredient is #2 on the list!)
• Propylene Glycol (humectant)
• Petrolatum (occlusive)
• Dimethicone (occlusive)
• Chamomile extract, Cetyl alcohol, glyceryl monostearate, stearic acid, phenoxythanol, triethanolamine, carbomer 940, comfrey extract, aloe vera and zinc oxide


Merlot's Moonlight Radiance Night Cream is actually pretty different from their regular moisturizer. This cream is white (instead of light purple) and smells less like grapes. It is a little bit thicker too. However, once applied it also feels silky and absorbs very easily into your skin! I did think that the night cream was a heavier moisturizer than the regular moisturizer.

A look at the ingredients in this cream tells us why it is different:
• Water
• Squalene (occlusive)
• Cetyl Alcohol (thickening agent)
• Polyacrlamide (a gel, my husband uses this in his lab to help separate proteins using gel electrophoresis... likely used here as a base or thickening agent for the lotion is my best guess)
• C13-14 Isoparaffin (emulsifier)
• Laureth-7 (emulsifier)
• Glyceryl Stearate (emollient)
• Peg-100 Stearate (emollient)
• Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Acetyl Hexapeptide-3 (Argireline), Palmitoyl Pentapeptide (Matrixyl 3000), glycerine, Propylene glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Phenoxyethanol, Grapeseed Extract, Avacado Oil, Grapefruit Mask


In comparing the two lotions you can see that their bases and makeups are completely different. Also notice that although the grapeseeds are lower on the night cream (which is probably just fine, we don't know how much you need to work), but notice that peptides are also included in the night formulation.

Don't forget anti-aging for your hands! That is one of the first locations that your age will "show." The final product I tried was the Merlot Skin Care Hand Cream.

Honestly, I was disappointed in this as an everyday hand cream for me. Please keep in mind that I'm an obsessive hand washer, both at work (where I wash with surgical scrub people!) and at home (Soft Soap and Williams-Sonoma). It sinks in well, feels silky and hydrating, but was not able to survive even a single hand washing. No handwashing, ok; hand washing, dry hands. Well, I got around this issue by having this lotion take up residence in my nightstand! I love this lotion right before I go to bed. It is more than hydrating enough for me to use it right before bed, and then I get the added benefits of the grape seeds.

Ingredients:
• Water
• Soybean Oil (occlusive)
• Glycerine (humectant)
• PPG-2 Myristrl Ether Propionate (emollient)
• Stearic Acid (emollient)
• Ceteryl Alcohol (emulsifier)
• Ceteareth 20, Aloe Vera, Corn Starch, Propylene Glycl, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Chamomile extract, Comfrey Extract, Dimethicone Copooyol, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Grape Seed Polyphenols, EDTA, Triclosan, Zinc Oxide, Grape Seed mask, D&C #33, FD&C Blue #1


9 comments

  1. they used to sell this line at walgreen's when i lived in south florida, but i'm not sure if they still do. i never got around to trying it, so thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a 57 year old female who has always been aware that taking care of my skin would be nothing but advantageous to me as I age. I've used many great products over the years, and most have been fairly pricey. The last thing I've been using was the Estee Lauder 3 product skin care regiment. I do love it but at $240 about every 4 months was looking for something I did love but could afford. While walking through the cosmetic section at Walgreens about a month ago, I happened upon the Merlot products displayed on the checkout counter. The salesperson was quite knowledgeable about them and gave me some free samples. I used them and was very happy with the way they absorbed quickly into my skin and left a silky feel. On my next trip to Walgreens, I made sure to purchase the eye creme and the face and body moisturizer. That was about 2 months ago and since using them I have been asked what I've been using on my face to give it such a nice glow. I think I may have happened upon a young cosmetic company in the making that has a bright future! Thank you for the article.
    Linda Clerkin
    South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried the product before never seen them in walgreen also. This sounds interesting. I probably check the cosmetic section again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merlot Skin Care products will be my favorite for a long time. It is available at Walgreen's for less than $20 - noticeably softens and smooths - and leaves no greasy feel! I always seek that "sweet spot" of price + performance. Alpha-hydroxy acids (fruit acids) work best, but less than $15 can leave whiteheads, burning, greasiness....I was so thrilled to find a product using a product related to Texas winemaking - realistically, won't a company use more of a product there's lots of, that would otherwise be thrown away?!?! Grapeseed oil is marvelous to cook with, so I can understand why it works so well on my skin. In this economy, I can't see spending $40, much less $80, $200, etc.....Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the Merlot eye cream on a recommendation from the cosmetics lady at walgreens. It was $12 for a full ounce. Although the packaging looks cheesy, this stuff is really nice! It is by far the best eye cream I have purchased. The jar lasts forever. It is very moisturizing and it sinks into skin almost immediately and the nice part is that it doesn't leave your eyelid greasy and cause makeup to crease (both top/bottom lid). It will also help with puffiness, approx 10min after i apply it i notice a difference if my eyes happen to be puffy that day. I will say I have not seen any difference regarding dark circles, and it hasn't erased the fine lines but the skin on my upper eyelid is tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Propylene Glycol is the main ingredients in antifreeze why would you put that on your face?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ethylene Glycol is the ingredient in what is typically thought of as the "toxic" version of anti-freeze, where as Propylene Glycol is actually found in a very large number of products. It is a very commonly used humectant and emulsifier in many different cosmetic products, is used in different foods and is used as the solvent in quite a few intravenous medications. Yup, we inject it into people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not the worst product I've bought, but not my favorite. I could never apply enough of the moisturizer though to help with my overly dry forehead region. I'd apply the Merlot Moisturizer in the evening and the next morning I was extremely dried out and flakey. I Used it daily until I was out and I just couldn't ever get it too keep the skin on my face hydrated enough.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ran into this looking for coupons. But, I would like to say that I have tried the Merlot products and I believe they are great!!! It has a complete line to conduct a complete facial. Most products give you the wash, tone and moisturize set only. To Ms. Dancin' Doll, try putting on a little bit of grape seed oil on your forehead or entire face prior to using the moisturizer. It works better for dry skin which seems to be what you may have at this time or in 2013. But skin does change with time, weather, age, etc. Best of wishes for great skin!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...