Beauty Spotlight Team: What's in my Office Desk Drawer?

It's time for Beauty Spotlight Team. Previously I've shared posts with you from my friends in which they shared their beauty collections. This week it is my turn, and I decided to share my work beauty drawer with you. Why? I have no idea, especially since this seems to be a catch-all for random products.

First, for those of you that don't usually read my site, you should know that I am an ICU doctor, and sometimes get called back in to work at random times of the night. Sometimes, this can be for a really long time. I have a chair in my office that folds out into a bed. For real. My employer bought it.

To go with said (uncomfortable) bed, I have a drawer designated for products. I was once much more organized about my on call bag (check out that post from when I was still in training and taking fairly regular every 4 night in house call. That's a 30 hour shift people!) With my current job, I get to go home, sleep in my bed (though I get a lot of calls), and I go in much less frequently. Though, when I do go in I want to have some stuff to freshen up with!

So, what was in that mess of products? Most of this is from 1 drawer in my desk, though I pulled stuff out of white doctor coat pockets as well (most of the lippies, a hand cream and my ProActiv shine wipes were in my coats).

Clearly, there are a few defining themes here. I seem to be very worried about dry skin, fresh breath and pretty hair. As always, I want to have many lippie options (my purse currently has easily 30 lipsticks or glosses in it), and of course a few ways to mattify my face. I previously had more color cosmetics in my overnight call bag including shadow, liner and mascara. I no longer keep those around, as long as I don't look super blotchy having been at work for a long time I don't really seem to care if my lashes are curled and have mascara on.

So, I'm obviously most worried about moisture in my skin given the huge number of products I have here. And I didn't put out a couple more simply because I thought you'd all think I'm a freak!

The air in the hospital is pretty dry, I swear I can feel a difference in my moisture level after a regular day's work in the hospital. I try to always keep a hand cream in my pocket and I have them all over my office. That pump lives next to my computer, I used up the free one Kiehl's sent me and repurchased it about 2 months ago.

Yeah.... so if you came into work at 2 am and didn't leave for 12 hours, you'd really want to brush your teeth too! I have a travel brush, Scope (new bottle, not even opened yet!) and toothpaste ready to go. I bought those Colgate ready to use brushes about 2 months ago and haven't opened them yet. I was thinking maybe I should use a travel brush 2x a year and still have it around? Is that weird or gross? I wasn't sure. I saw these and grabbed them, hopefully they're good.

Decent(ish) hair is also a priority, though I obviously need to bring in some dry shampoo! The shine serum is great for using just a few drops on the ends of my hair to smooth down frizzies, and ponytails are a must for a bad hair day.

Most of this came from coat pockets, but I think this is pretty self explanatory. The drops are rewetting drops, which were really important back when I wore contacts (I'm mostly a glasses girl since having my daughter 18 months ago, contacts just aren't comfy any more). They're definitely a must for the dry hospital environment!

The ProActiv Oil Blotter Sheets are amazing. The packet has a ton of sheets and it even comes with a refill. They suck up oil like no one's business and don't leave any powdery stuff behind.

Finally, I obviously need to have deodorant around. It's amazing how applying deodorant (even when you're not smelly and aren't able to change clothes) makes me feel more put together. Strange, I know!

Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream tends to go on extra dry skin areas, my cuticles, my lips, etc. I use the Anti-Bac Gels when my hands are particularly dry. The hospital's foam wash likes to mess with my skin, and the Bath & Body Works gels are better for me, but it is annoying to have to keep it in my pocket. So, I swap back and forth.


So, yeah. A lot of stuff in my desk drawer. I obviously should re-assess the products, and I need a few other basics in there. Like a mirror. And makeup cleansing cloths (they were in a different drawer that I forgot to search. Oops! They're also from ProActiv).

What do you keep in your desk drawer at work?



21 comments

  1. Great post Christine!!! I am a huge fan of 8-hour cream too! While I am no longer working, I had a drawer much like yours for years in my office! I always kept deoderant (you are right, great for freshening up!), anti-bac gels, hand lotion, facial moisturizer, hair ties and clips, pressed powder, blotting papers, a variety of body mists (my other favorite for freshening up!), baby wipes, covergirl shimmering sands trio (so basic and great for a quick eye), blush, lipbalms, and a variety of lipglosses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Saving dying children while still looking good. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a desk drawer at work however I do work in the hospital, more specifically as a scrub nurse in theatre. When i do nightshift it's 7 on and like you I swear the moisture just leaves my body as soon as I walk in the door. I always fill a bag with various product to keep me moisturised and fresh! Even during a normal day its so drying and with scrubbing my hands and arms get uber dry. Oh and I always keep a toothpaste and toothbrush in my locker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a few products at work, as I sometimes have functions in the evening. It includes toothbrush and toothpaste, lipbalm, dry shampoo, hand cream, mascara and a hairbrush. I don't keep particular brands, they are usually ok products but not overwelming, just to keep handy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! so fun to peak into your life like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where I can then be stuck (aka- taking care of dying children)

    ??

    I am a fan of your blog and thank God for people like you who care for others in need but something about this comment sounds a little off to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anon, You're right, I should have read that again!

    A lot of people don't understand that if I'm called in, even if a kiddo is "stabilized" that I can't really leave. There's a chance something could happen, and truthfully I probably stick around a lot longer than I need to, but I don't want to leave just in case. Does that make sense?

    I'm kind of stuck in the hospital because I'm clingy, but I definitely worded that comment wrong (I fixed it, hopefully it makes more sense now!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a major bare bones gal when it comes to beauty products anywhere outside of bedside or bathroom. I carry a couple lip products in my purse, a cutical cream of some kind, a tooth refresher/whiting stix and usually have a eye liner pencil somewhere tucked in just in case I am gone all day and my liner runs or fades and I catch a look at myself thinking I look pale without it. Other than that - zip - I have a cream/hydrating hand sanitizer in the car that lives there (Gold Bond). I also am 'stuck' at the 'pital often for 18 hrs. Anything else I don't need or I can grab at the hospital. I have drawers and a locker at the hospital but I really try to keep it super cleaned out of 'stuff.' If 'stuff' goes in there, I tend not to use it. I have a small size of other beauty products I will take to the gym with me however. I want to come out of there clean and moisturized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a nice list here. I like how you separated products into categories - very helpful to readers.

    Mom Fitness Journal | Beauty and Fashion in Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think this is overkill at all! If I worked insane hours at a hospital and needed products on hand to freshen up, I would probably have 10 times the amount of products you have :P Yours are very practical and I like that you have all the necessities :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I office at home, I only need a few things in my desk. I have a nail file and 3 lip balms. I don't know why I have three...variety?

    Now ON the desk, I have cuticle oil, a variety of top coats and one bottom coat, one hand lotion, and another lip rescue cream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't work in a hospital, but I spent nearly a week in one giving birth, and I only expected to be there no longer than 48 hours, so I totally get the dry skin issue. Having expected to be there a short time, I didn't pack my heavy-duty products, and my skin felt so tight, head to toe.

    My last job was in a bank, and after a few hours, it can have a bad effect on the skin, as well. I had three drawers, one of which was for me to keep "necessities" in, like paper clips, rubberbands, pens, etc, but I also crammed it with hand salve, lotions, lip balm, hand sanitizer, breath mints, and who knows what else. My co-workers made fun, but they were always borrowing things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mini sizes. So darn easy to travel with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought your blog was absolutely incredible to begin with, but to learn that you are also an ICU doctor - Good lord, you are superwoman!

    Also, that deodorant is in incredible. I have switched brands before, but always keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great selection. I seem to have a huge amount of hand creams and lip balms in my drawer at work, I just seem to keep bringing more in, not sure why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to care my skin . so i always carry moisturizer and deo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome thanks for sharing! My husband doesn't seem to understand why we need all these things. I won't even try to explain lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always fun to see what people has at their work place. You don't have too much products. I tend to use up product faster at office than at home. You have the same experience?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Coco, I actually use these things (other than hand lotion) much slower. I spend almost no time in my actual office and I actually only am at work about 10-12 days a month depending on my schedule and meetings and such. If I was in there more often, I KNOW I'd use things way more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh now I do not feel so bad for all I have in here! I do not do what you do, but I work for a University Medical School, in the GME office, and we often have meetings in our hospitals (2 Hospitals on campus, so at those all the time) and even then I feel drier just from a 2 hour meeting in the admin pavilions! I hear ya on wanting to be moisturized!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...