My Desert Island: Not So Deserted After All?

Desert Island Beauty Products
So, if you've been paying attention to my weekend Beauty Spotlight Team posts, you'll have noticed that we've been taking turns sharing what items we'd bring with us to a desert island. Granted, the "rules" we set were a bit different. We're assuming an unlimited supply of basics like sunscreen and lip balm. You get 12 items.

But, I gotta be honest here. If I'm alone on some island, I'd just be using those basics and not worrying about eye shadow. Give me sunscreen (broad spectrum, water resistant and SPF 50+ preferred), lip balm and a hair tie. Done. I'm definitely not going to be messing with eye liner.

Sooo.... that's a pretty boring desert island beauty post. I pick a yoga tie. Can't have a pony tail crease when all alone on the island, right?

So, I'm totally cheating and changing location. I'm not an outdoorsy girl (I can hear my husband laughing now) I'm actually the exact opposite of outdoorsy. I am the girl that must have a hotel reservation at a hotel with many stars. I need large marble bathrooms and multiple pillows. Even better if there is a large breakfast buffet. So, that beach pictured at the top (that's the Four Seasons at Hualalai. I love it.) is much more my speed. The rocky and deserted beach? Pretty, but makes for a boring beauty blog post.

So, I'll stick to 12 items, but we'll say that I'm heading back to Hualalai (ooooh, I'm coming for you chocolatey deserts!), for a quiet vacation with my hubby. I still get my basic skin care, sunscreen, shampoo/conditioner and hair removal products (aka- razor and shave gel are in copious supplies). But, I only get 12 items to style my hair (hmmm, bring a blow dryer or use the one supplied by the hotel?) and do my makeup. Assume that once I step out the shower, I must count anything I use as an item. (It's a good thing I put moisturizer on in the shower! Totally not going to count that!) For a week that includes fun at the pool, dinner with my husband and heading out on boating excursions. Basically, I wanted to show the fun stuff. Makeup and hair styling.

1. Urban Decay Naked2 Palette: As great as the recent Naked Basics Palette is, I've been using the Naked2 Palette for pretty much any look imaginable. I can create a basic every day look, something fun and flirty and a smoky eye for a romantic dinner out. There's even an included shade (Blackout) that can double as a liner and a double ended shadow brush. Oh, and that black shadow is important because I gave up liner in favor of a 3rd lippie. **Priorities**

2. Stila Convertible Color in Lillium: This is a perfect flush, and when applied with fingers it creates such a pretty glow. It also lasts all day.

3. CoverGirl TruBlend Foundation: You might have noticed on Instagram that I repurchased this foundation a few days ago. With my new hair color I'm suddenly much paler and more porcelain than I was before. Or, it's much more noticeable. (Note, I also started treatment for Rosacea with a topical antibiotic a few months ago and my skin is gradually getting more and more porcelain. I guess I had redness that I didn't realize was there? It's definitely related to the Clinda.) I spent a long time wandering around putting swatches of foundation on my face at ULTA, and this long time favorite was the only product with a good match. It has medium-ish coverage, but can easily build if needed, blends with just my fingers and doesn't disappear by the end of the day. I'm #410.

4. Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer: Obviously, you need to look awake.

5. Tweezerman Lash Curler: It would be a waste to bring mascara without a curler. They must go together.

6. CoverGirl Clump Crusher Mascara: I love this mascara! It can build and build and build without any clumps. While 30 coats aren't needed, with 3-4 coats (yes, I really do that sometimes) my lashes are amazing.


1. NARS Lipstick in Dolce Vita: This is a great neutral that isn't quite neutral, but is kind of my own lip color but somehow darker... you get the idea. It's a great in between everything color. I had lost it for a while, but found it again in a purse a few weeks ago. Now I'm guarding it with my life, I need to buy a second!

2. L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain in Eternally Nude and 3. Infinite Fuchsia: This is a gloss that also works as a stain, feels moisturizing and the colors are amazing! Eternally Nude is a great light nude shade that doesn't make me look washed out and Infinite Fuchsia is a bright fuchsia that is *almost* a red, but is more fun instead.

4. Goody Quik Style Brush: This brush makes drying your hair so much faster with results that are softer, straighter and healthier looking. Which means I can use the hotel blow dryer and don't need a flat iron.

5. DermOrganic Leave-In Treatment: This is another hair oil with Argan Oil, but it seems to have a much wider margin of error than most. It's all I need for soft and shiny hair.

6. Elie Saab Perfume: My hubby loves this floral scent, it's pretty and light without being boring.




Photo Credit: James Wheeler via Flickr

15 comments

  1. I'm laughing at your 5 star comment! Love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This woman cheats!! I can't believe the rest of us were dying of boredom on a true desert island and she is lapping up the life of luxury in Hawaii. With clean hair on top of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting. Unlike you, I love going camping, so I have to pack really well. Apart from sunscreen and shower products, I carry with me a compact foundation (this year, I'lll take a compact BB cream instead), pressed powder and a lipstick... And I put those on only when I'm going to a club at the beach :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices but seriously, If I was on a desert island, I would bring a book and bathing suit. Who needs makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Yes, a book and bathing suit (really, I'd want a fully loaded Kindle with unlimited battery power, I read really fast!) But, I totally cheated (which makes Marcia jealous) and am pretending to be at the Four Seasons instead. :D My only beauty pick for the actual island (which I did include, look Marcia, I didn't cheat! I did 2 things!) was the yoga hair tie. That's really all I'd need for the actual desert island.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's the way to go to a Desert Island!!!!!! I love your choices, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had to laugh that you changed the location, good idea :) Good selection of items, I've never got round to getting one of the UD naked palettes but it does seem to be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You cracked me up this morning. The funny thing is I wrote my post title not knowing you were going to do it this way. It must be my ESP or maybe I'm just learning that you like a life of luxury (and I don't blame you).

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, I guess I do. I like to be pampered, but I do work hard for it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you don't mind my asking, what antibiotic are you using for your rosacea? I've used Metrogel/cream and Oracea and neither have worked at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great picks! I really want to try one of the cream blushes from Stila, great to know it lasts all day on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheater! I only wish I had thought of it first!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I am going to Hawaii (my favorite place on Earth), I only pack a bottle of sunscreen and face moisturizer.That is all I need! No makeup, no need for that. Even not a mascara. I want to be relaxed, and natural. Of course, a book, a hat, and a rented car is a must. But, that is not makeup. :) Sara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheater! LOL Just kidding! We share some picks. That is one funky looking hair brush!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @tfischer- I'm using a Clindamycin Gel, my Internal Medicine guy said the derm department at U of Michigan (I live in Ann Arbor and get my medical care there. I figure I went to med school there, they can take care of me now), anyways, the derm department told everyone to use that first and if it doesn't help then to refer on to them. You should check out Cynthia Bailey's Derm blog, she has a ton of info! Here's the link to her Rosacea related things:
    http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/category/rosacea/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...