Aveeno Positively Ageless Review: Shitake Extract Makes Me Risk Myself for Beauty

When a box of Aveeno's Positively Ageless products arrived at my house I was pretty happy. I'm a skincare junkie, and lately I haven't posted much about more affordable anti-aging skincare products. So, I started using them almost immediately (I may have "accidentally" forgotten to see what I was meant to be reviewing next. Oops!)

I assumed that I was just using some anti-oxidants and maybe peptides in addition to the usual oatmeal and the SPF 30. I found out a few days later that the product has Shitake Extract. Oops! I'm a bit, ok, more than a bit, allergic to mushrooms. I've always avoided them in beauty products in the past. I had no untoward effects from the mushrooms.

I want everyone to know that I risked myself for you. Well, for you and and a good broad spectrum UV coverage skin lotion. Moral of the story, read the box before I test something. Which I've always done in the past, but here I was blinded by the UV coverage.

Read on to see what I actually thought of the products, and why I kept using them despite the mushrooms!


Youth Perfecting Moisturizer with SPF 30
First, the daily moisturizer. This was my favorite product of the three, and is definitely the one I was the most excited to try out. I have very few broad spectrum daily moisturizers to recommend to friends, so finding another one is huge!

This lotion is a light lotion, though with that much sunscreen it does have a very faint sunscreen smell. It doesn't have the sticky or heavy feeling that I typically associate with a broad spectrum SPF, though it does take about 2-3 minutes to fully sink into my skin. That's a bit longer than other (non-sunscreen) daily lotions. Once it has sunk in there is a little bit of a sunscreen sheen on my skin, though I can't feel it and it doesn't interfere with my makeup application.

This lotion is about as hydrating as you would expect from a daily lotion. It wasn't too much for my combination skin, though it was just enough for the dry areas in early winter.

Overall, I did like this product and it will make the list of daily sunscreen containing lotions that I recommend.











(clarification of why I said no: the Citric Acid is a bit higher in the list that you typically see if it is just there as a pH modulator, and I have all hydroxy acids, minus lactic acid because our bodies make it, on my pregnancy no-no list)



Lifting & Firming Eye Cream
I'm finding that a hydrating eye cream is a real must this winter, since it definitely helps keep my concealer looking fresh. It hasn't been cold, but wow! I am super zapped of moisture.

This eye cream isn't particularly amazing, but it isn't a slouch in the moisture department either. It sinks in quickly, hydrates me quite a bit and leaves behind no residue. I love that it comes in a pump, I hate sticking my fingers into a pot of eye cream. It was great at prepping my eye area for makeup. I definitely recommend it!




(here the citric acid is only listed as a "may contain" so it is probably in very small amounts to modulate pH, so I would probably use it if still preggers)



Daily Exfoliating Cleanser
A good basic cleanser, this product has a light lather, does a great job of removing everything and rinses away easily. There is a very light grit in it (I guess that is the exfoliating?), though it is small, round and evenly sized. I didn't think it was enough to do much, but it wasn't sharp so I'm willing to ignore its presence. I had no redness or afterwash tightness, both great things in the middle of winter. If I didn't have so many other facial products to test this is one I'd consider buying when I run out.





Aveeno Positively Ageless

4 comments

  1. Your reviews are so great. I'm sure it must take a lot of time to write such thorough reviews, especially now that you're including all the pregnancy and sulfate info. They're so helpful and very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review, always looking for a good affordable skincare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was willing to try something new, but when I opened the jar and found I had paid for a jar that was only 2/3 full, I was
    very disappointed. It won't happen again, I'll find something where I'll get a fair deal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...