Should You Use Preparation H On Your Face?

Nothing to Disclose

Should You Use Preparation H On Your Face?

I think this may have been the first "big" beauty secret to be revealed by makeup artists. Preparation H on your puffy eyes to shrink the bags. It was used in pagents, on the red carpet and of course on the runways. And soon it was being used by pretty much everyone at the local mall and grocery store as well, despite warnings from skin care experts!

hemorrhoid cream on your puffy eyes

Directly from the Preparation H website, you can see that they don't recommend use for anything other than what is on the label (they actually aren't allowed to recommend or promote any off label use per the FDA). And Preparation H is only labelled for use as a hemorrhoid cream.

how preparation h works

The main issue with using Preparation H on your face is that main ingredient, Phenylephrine. You might recognize the name because it is also found in common over the counter medications like decongestants, and decongestant nasal sprays.

Physicians use it because it is an alpha agonist, meaning it works through a receptor on a blood vessel to make the blood vessel constrict. So, we use it when blood vessels are too dilated to shrink them. Ophthalmologists use it for glaucoma, I use it in my ICU for low blood pressure (it is typically a 3rd or 4th line agent) and it is the medication that is used for that 4 hour situation you may have heard about in ads for a little blue pill.

While applying Phenylephrine will constrict the blood vessels in the bags under your eyes, it isn't the only issue causing those bags. Usually there's quite a bit of extra fluid (aka-swelling) in the small fat pad there. So, it's only a partial solution. Long term use of the Phenylephrine can up-regulate the opposing beta receptors, making the Phenylephrine less effective. As well, if you suddenly stop using it you can actually see a rebound swelling. This is often seen when people overuse nasal decongestants for longer than is recommended.

I haven't even gotten into the side effects of the 1% Hydrocortisone that is in most of the Preparation H formulations (skin thinning, steroid acne, absorption into your body messing with your body's cortisol responses) or the moisturizing ingredients that aren't formulated for use in the delicate undereye area. While Preparation H is great for its intended use, as a hemorrhoid cream, it isn't good for the undereye area!


I asked a few of my favorite skin care experts for their take on Preparation H, here's what they had to say:

Ellen Lange is an esthetician and founder of Ellen Lange Skin Science
Preparation H is made with phenylephrine, which is a vasoconstrictor and only temporarily tightens skin. This can be irritating and will not provide the long tern results you are probably looking for.


Debra Jaliman, MD is a board certified dermatologist with a private practice in New York City.
Some use to reduce swelling. As an alternative you can use an eye cream with caffeine, gel packs or an anti-histamine.

Avery Kuflik, MD is a board certified dermatologist with a private practice in New Jersey.
Repeated use of Preparation H can possibly lead to an allergy, eczema, and thinning of the skin around the eye area. There are many clinically tested products on the market to help rejuvenate the eye area.

James C. Marotta, MD is a double board certified ENT and Plastic Surgeon who practices in Long Island.
In theory, Preparation H may seem to work, temporarily. It restricts the blood vessels, which could get rid of the redness for awhile, and contains 1% hydrocortisone, an anti-inflammatory that might temporarily reduce puffiness in theory.

However, it's very risky to apply Preparation H on your eye area because if you accidentally get some in your eye, the other ingredients can cause serious damage, and puffiness will be the least of your concerns. Also, prolonged use of topical steroids like this has been shown to cause skin thinning, increased skin fragility, enlarged blood vessels, and can even result in problems with your adrenal gland, causing your eyes to look worse over time.

The best way to deal with puffy eyes is to treat the root of the cause – by getting enough sleep and staying hydrated. Additionally, look for under eye creams that have “firming” or “lifting” properties that can tighten skin.



15 comments

  1. Thanks for the info! I have it, but rarely use it & when I did, I never noticed an improvement. And seeing that I don't have what it's intended for, guess I will trash it because why take that risk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this. Thanks for sharing, my best friend does this at night before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The US version has different ingredients than it did years ago when people started using it. I believe the Canadian version doesn't have Phenylephrine in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes and no. There are multiple versions in Canada. There's the PE Cooling Gel (http://preparationh.ca/content/Products/PECoolingGel.asp) which does have phenylephrine, so has the same issue as all of the US preparations. The Canadian version of the Preparation H Cream has a yeast derivative instead (http://preparationh.ca/content/Products/Cream.asp).

    As far as I know and can find information for, the US version has had Phenylephrine in it for decades, it hasn't changed other than some fillers for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is the safe version with Biodyne from Canada, it has no Phenylephrine http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Preparation-Bio-dyne-Imported-Canada/dp/B00DC6R7G4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409420135&sr=8-1&keywords=preparation+h+with+biodyne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to use the Preparation H that's from Canada. The ingredient you need to look for is "Bio-Dyne". Back in 1995 the US stopped putting Bio-Dyne in it's product. You can find the Canadian type on Amazon. It really works!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bullshit! It works wonders and all you who claim it doesn't is because you sell high priced crap and are scaring the public from getting something that is effective cheap. Shame on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx u for standing up for us ☺ I just used it again under my eyes then decided to look it up lol my pharmacist even told me that it was fine to use as I don't get enough sleep ... if it wasn't fine to use they for sure wouldn't say I could

      Delete
    2. I'm just going to point out that a pharmacist doesn't necessarily have the same training to know about the receptor issues I mentioned above, and it should be ok to use on occasion, but I wouldn't recommend using the US version of preparation H as a long term anti-aging solution. There's a reason dermatologists cringe whenever this is mentioned!
      As well, Anon, I do NOT sell anything. I do review and talk about skin care a lot, but if you read the site regularly you'll know I include many price points, though most are drugstore level.

      Delete
    3. My Demonologist said I can use it for my eye bags too just not everyday use.

      Delete
  8. That's an interesting response. Again, this will work in the short term, but read the part of the post where i talk about upregulation of receptors. This isn't a long term solution, which is why dermatologists don't recommend it. In particular, if you have a formulation with 1% hydrocortisone, long term use WILL thin your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do a crazy thing about 3x a week, and I SWARE it works...for ME. After you brew your coffee, apply a thin layer of moisturizer around eye area and then dab on coffee grounds. Leave on for 20-30 min then gently rinse off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I head that back in the day that Preparation H had shark oils (liver ?) in it as an active ingredient... anyone ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not on the ingredient list that I can see, though they may have obtained some of their ingredients from sources like that in the past? They don't reveal it in the list on the box.

      Delete
  11. TRUTH....I'm nearly 70 yrs now and have been seeing a lot of doctors lately and I haven't had one yet not comment on my skin, and examining close up, and asking me, "How do you do it?"

    I have been using PrepH cream since I was in my 30Yrs. Everyday usage. I lived in California and I lived in the sun. Blond and blue eyed. I use it about once a week now in the Mtns of Colorado.

    Prep H got me thru those years of fast living and even now growing old without looking old. THANK YOU PREP H.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...