Dear 16 Year Old Me.... Why Tanning is Bad and You Should Wear Sunscreen

Why Tanning is Bad and You Should Wear Sunscreen

You may have noticed that I'm a bit obsessed with avoiding the sun. I'm a pale Irish girl with a lot of red headed relatives. I freckle and burn, no tan in sight. I've tried to do the tanning thing in the past (I've never tanned in a bed, only outside), but with little success. By default I've embraced the pale, happy about the anti-aging benefits of my choice.

Not everyone is lucky with their sun exposure. My husband's uncle died of Melanoma at 41. A friend of the family was diagnosed at 18 (she's had Mohs surgery and is now fine). I watched an 8 year old die of Melanoma as a pediatrics resident.

In the last 24 hours I've had five family members post this video to their Facebook pages.

4 comments

  1. I saw this video last week on Facebook and loved the message. How crazy is it that we are a culture consumed with cooking our skin? This video has a great message and has made me ever more viligant with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to tan like crazy when I was 16 and I never ever wore sunscreen. I had one friend that would pile on the sunscreen and she wanted to stay as pale as possible - back then I could not fathom why she would stay out of the sun, and I thought whatever damage I was doing could somehow be fixed later. I was smart about some things back then - not sunscreen:(((

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really important message. May is Skin Cancer Awareness month and the web is really helping to spread important prevention and early detection info this year. This video is highly effective at doing that. It's fantastic that people can find it on your site!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...