Makeup Wars: Fall Trend Look, How Do You Interpret the 'It' Look?

Fall trendy makeup
This week for Makeup Wars we've decided to tackle Fall Trends. Fall is finally here, which I love because it is definitely my favorite season. To me, fall is crisp cool air, changing leaves, the smell of burning leaves (or pumpkin) and definitely football!

Doesn't it seem like every fall the trends are the same? A "return to ladylike elegance", darker/red lips and nails, more coverage with your foundation... many of those things are no brainers. They just go with fall much more than unstructured beachy waves and hot pink nail polish.

This year there are a few additions/variations to the typical fall trends. The first is the addition of dark lips. Rather than just the classic red lip (though that's there too this fall), this summer we suddenly saw dark, deep vampy lips pop up at the Met Ball. And it's still here. Eyes definitely are brown this season, though that should obviously be varied a bit depending on what else you have going on. I also love the flushed, pretty cheeks that were seen on many fall runways.

I've opted to combine 2 of these trends, the brown eye (toned down a bit, but definitely still brown) and the dark lip. I opted for the brown lip because I had a new MAC lippie that I wanted to try out, though I'll show you later how I toned it down a bit to not look like super goth girl (I don't have a problem with that look, it just isn't my look).

Products Used:
Anastasia She Wears it Well Palette: I love all of the neutrals in this palette and it has a good mix of shimmer (though not too much shimmer for me) and matte.

Elizabeth Arden Smokey Eyes Liner in Espresso: These are my favorite liners! They are strong enough to stand up to anything (I hate applying liner to have the pencil smoosh itself against my lid rather than apply to the eye), but apply smoothly and can be easily smudged immediately. It lasts all day! EA sent me 2 about 2 years ago and I can't even tell you how many times I've repurchased since then.

Korres Magic Light Face Contouring trio in Santorini: This is really pretty, but overall very neutral. I think I have a post around here somewhere, which of course I can't find now. A bit tan, a bit pink, a bit peach.... you get the picture. I just didn't think that this look would go well with a pretty pink flush.

Stila Stay All Day Foundation and Concealer: I really need to review this stuff, but I really like it a lot. It is a medium coverage foundation, though the coverage is buildable. They even put a matching concealer in the lid!

As usual, I layered 2 mascaras, here I used Maybelline Lots of Lashes and Show Off Mascara by Beauty Addicts.


First, I prepped my lids with a primer. I've used NYX Eye Shadow Base in Skintone because it has some great coverage and with light shadows I need to cover up all of my blood vessels. I then put a light layer of Almond all over my lid with a big brush.

Next I deepen up the out 1/2 or so of my lid with Trophy, only up to the crease. This pic looks a little uneven in that area, but really, it's just the picture! It's evenly applied and then slightly blended across the center of my lid.

I apply Glow to my crease, back and forth in a windshield wiper-like motion and blend it out slightly. I like the golden shimmer, so I also apply a little under my eye with my smudge brush. I've tapped it on here so that the shimmer will show up more.

I line my eyes with brown liner, smudging the line a bit. I also lined a little on my inner waterline on the bottom. Then I blended everything together.

I finished off the look with mascara (curl those lashes like crazy!), a little Korres Magic Light Face Contouring trio in Santorini used as blush and finally my lips.

The eyes are done!

Sooo.... that dark lip look that is all over the place... It isn't really for everyone. Sure, Young Rapunxel (on the left) is a very trendy "it" color for the fall. And yes, it makes me look like I don't have any melanin in my body. To make it work I applied a little bit of Laugh a Lot to tone it down. Really, I applied Rapunxel, blotted, applied Laugh a Lot, blotted again, and then finally a tiny bit more of Rapunxel. I have a bit of clear gloss over the top (I honestly can't remember which one I grabbed) to add a little shine. It's definitely still within that dark realm, but since I've added in a little bit of a color much closer to my lip coloring it works a bit better for me.








14 comments

  1. Such a pretty look! Looks like several of us used MAC Yung Rapunxel. It really is the prefect shade for fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Like you're ready for a night out! I love that lip on you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am using that Anastasia palette a lot - love it! Great look, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific use of fall colors - you look beautiful.

    I stole your lip trick in my review of Makeup Geek lipsticks and I love it. I put on the lipstick, waited, blotted and then applied a clear gloss. It always me to wear a more fall shade and still be in my comfort zone.
    The Anastasia palette is getting a lot of love from me this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices for your look! I adore that Anastasia palette! I really like the dark lip shades that you selected too. Looks great!!! :) Isn't Fall just the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you did your lips--vampy but suited to your coloring! Great look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW do you get liner to stay on your inner waterline on the bottom? I love that look, but i've never been able to make it last, even with a great waterproof like MUFE Aqua Eyes- please help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this look. The Anastasia palette really is versatile and the two lip options take you from day to night. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That lip color is awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Carleen said Yung Rapunxel is just perfect for Fall. And thanks for the eye tutorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you look absolutely beautiful! I like the darker lip on you but the lighter one is very pretty as well. Thanks for showing the placement of the shadows. That was super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing on you!! I love how you show where to put the shadow - genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful fall look. I love the step by step guide to how you layered the eye color. You post pictures, and how you laid them out on the page are wonderful too. Well done all around - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree--I love the step-by-step guide also; it's very helpful! And the whole look is very pulled together, very chic. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...