Updated Smoky Eye: Trying To Follow Along?

I Bought It

Smoky, smudged eye DIY
In this month's Martha Stewart Living, the beauty editors included a quick and easy DIY for an "updated" smoky eye. It quoted makeup artists like Stila's amazing Sarah Lucero (who is incredibly nice and oh so talented, I once stared at her backstage and made such a fool of myself that I won't go back to NYFW). But more importantly, while it had only 4 easy steps (2 of which they said were optional), it was so different from anything that I've done in the past with my makeup that I knew I had to try it.

Warning: What you're about to read is a big makeup experiment. I am by no means a makeup artist, instead I'm a collector of things like mascara and eye shadow and can't keep my big mouth shut about how much I love them, hence my blog. I was doing this on Wednesday afternoon, when it was snowing here in Michigan. So, the clouds were in and out, messing up my lighting. I corrected things as much as I could, but you get the idea!

dark green shadow look
Step 1: Brush on Mascara
First of all, what??? Mascara first? This was the major thing that threw me for a loop. Mascara is the last thing I do when putting on makeup. I couldn't believe they said to do this first!

Sarah Lucero explained, “This enhances the shape of the eye and makes it easier to wing out the liner when you draw it on." If Sarah says it, then it must be true. I curled my lashes first and then used the lash primer and mascara from Manna Kadar (find it here). I got mine from Wantable.


dark green eye shadow look tutorial
Step 2: Line & Smudge
There were quite a few options listed in the article for pigmented shadow/liners including NARS, Jane Iredale, Stila and Maybelline. They also had color recommendations based upon your eye color, and while blue was recommended for my brown eyes, I've already featured a navy blue smoky eye tutorial in the past. And I had the Maybelline in Emerald Fury, sitting here unused just calling my name! I couldn't resist the color at the store about 6 weeks ago, so I snagged it immediately. But hadn't used it yet.

So, it says to line your eyes flush against your lashes. The only problem is that my Maybelline is rounded, not remotely pointed (the Martha pic shows it pointed. I'm bitter and think I bought a bum shadow liner). I persevere, lining the top of my lashes as close to the lash line as I can, and then lightly blurring the edge with a Precision Q-Tip.

I do have to say that while lining with my giant green crayon, that I can see how it would be easier to flick out a little cat eye with mascara already on. So, that Sarah Lucero probably knows what she's talking about. As usual. And it makes me really wish I'd gotten out one of my Stila Smudge Liners instead.

Step 3: Shimmer Shadow
This step is optional, a sweep of light shimmery, metallic shadow up to the crease. They only have 1 recommendation, Chanel Illusion D’Ombre eye shadow, in Convoitise. The picture looks amazing, but I don't own any Chanel shadows. (As an aside, I recently read a long thread on a post elsewhere, the person starting it said they were a beauty blogger and we all got all the free Chanel, YSL, etc that we could ever dream of using. I don't know anyone that gets Chanel like that. Certainly not me!)

So, I went for a metallic shimmer powder that I had on hand, Urban Decay's Half Baked. I'm applying it with one of the new MAC Master Class brushes. I just bought these last week and I'm still experimenting, but expect a review soon!

fast smoky emerald eye

Step 4: Lower Lash Line
The last (and optional) step is to line the lower lash line, which I do. It's a bit hard with the big Maybelline Crayon. Again, I think this would work better with something thinner, like one of my beloved Stila Smudge Sticks. I think my results are a bit too imprecise, so while I'm done, I'm not super happy with the look.

I decide that I'm going to go bigger, expand the green and define my lash line more.

fast smoky emerald eye
Step 5: Add More Shadow Liner
First, I drew more shadow liner on to my lid. I just went up to the crease, it doesn't need to be perfect since I'll be blending it. Note that it is a bit smaller than needed at the outer corner here, I did add a bit more later.

Step 6: Emphasize the Crease
I added some matte brown into my crease, this helped to blend out the emerald green as well. I'm using Faint in the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette.

fast smoky emerald eye
Step 7: Liner Up
Next, black liner top and bottom. I used MAC Gel Liner in Blacktrack on the top (in my experience you need to pat a gel along the lash line rather than dragging a pencil there when using a shadow liner like this green, the liner will rub off the shadow liner). On my bottom lash line I used Urban Decay's Perversion.

fast smoky emerald eye
Step 8: Bigger Mascara
Next I added more mascara, I used step 2 of the new CoverGirl Bombshell Volume Mascara. Which is pretty amazing stuff. If you like volume in your lashes, grab it!

Step 9: Extra Blending
Finally I went over things with a blending brush, added a little more green in the outer corner, etc.

fast smoky emerald eye
Done! This is definitely a more intense look, but better for going out. My husband said "what's with the eye makeup?" when he got home. I think it wasn't what he expected to see at 5 pm!

This look was inspired by the December issue of Martha Stewart Living, which is on news stands now! There's a lot of great info on using glitter, just FYI. Also, over on the Martha site, have you been following their Countdown to Christmas videos?

4 comments

  1. I've always been afraid to try darker colors because my skin is so pale. Do you think the green eyeshadow would still be a good look on someone who is very fair?

    Loved the tutorial! I'll definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the green! That's sexy on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @oheart I think it would still work! I'm very fair, I'm not quite the lightest foundation shade but I'm usually about 1/2 shade darker if that helps at all. I think super dark like this is better with navy, emerald or purple than with black or grey which usually look too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful look! I actually have that green crayon too and have only used it once, now that you used it 2 ways I have some ideas now, Thanks!!! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...