9 Full Spectrum Sunscreens

9 Full Spectrum Sunscreens

Recently I shared a list of 7 Lippies with full spectrum UV coverage, and I got a lot of great feedback from readers asking for a list of sunscreens that are also full spectrum coverage.

Why full spectrum rather than broad spectrum UV coverage? When the FDA changed sunscreen labels, they cracked down on those companies that claim their product is broad spectrum, which didn't actually mean anything.


 photo why-full-spectrum.jpg

Now, in order to claim a product is broad spectrum, there are criteria that need to be met. First, a product's SPF is tested, for which only UVB coverage is measured. Next, based upon the SPF, a certain amount of coverage is needed at 370 nm, in the UVA I range. This sounds great, because it does mean that there's some UVA coverage in addition to the UVB coverage. But, it also means that a product can be labelled as broad spectrum coverage without having any UVA II coverage. And there are quite a few products that are just like that!

While I searched through a huge number of lip products and was only able to come up with 7 products that are full spectrum coverage, it turns out there are a lot more sunscreens for face and body that are full coverage! I only consider products that are over SPF 30, and I always check the ingredients lists of sunscreen. I'm sharing some of the products here, but I'll be adding products as I find them to my Full Coverage Sun Protection Collection over on eBay. Check the collection when you're buying your sunscreen for spring break!


1. Lancôme Bienfait SPF 50+ Super Fluid Facial Sunscreen

Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 5%, and Oxybenzone 6%








2. Kate Somerville Daily Deflector Waterlight Broad Spectrum SPF 50+
Kate Somerville's daily sunscreen also provides ingredients like peptides and Shiitake Mushrooms to help fight the signs of aging.

Titanium Dioxide 8.3%, and Zinc Oxide 12.6%


 class=


3. SuperGoop Antioxidant-Infused Sunscreen Day Cream
This product is available in 2 SPF versions, and it is meant to provide sun protection and be your daily morning moisturizer. Note that I went through the entire SuperGoop website and this is the only formulation that provides the elusive UVA II coverage.

SPF 40
Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 10.1%


 class=

SPF 50
Octinoxate 7.5%, Octocrylene 3%, Titanium Dioxide 3.3%, Zinc Oxide 20%




 class=


4. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen

Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 8%, Octisalate 4%, Octocrylene 4%, Oxybenzone 5%








5. Mustela Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ Mineral Sunscreen Lotion

Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide


 class=


6. Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 110 with Helioplex

Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 4%, Oxybenzone 5%









7. Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid SPF 50
This super lightweight facial sunscreen is one of the few available with physical sunscreens only, rather than chemical sunscreens. This one is also waterproof and dries to a matte finish.

Titanium Dioxide 5%, Zinc Oxide 3%


 class=


8. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid
This is one of my favorite products to recommend, but note that you need to be careful to get this formulation and not the tinted mineral which looks very similar, that formulation only has titanium dioxide.

Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 5%, Oxybenzone 6%








9. Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50
This formulation also contains Alguronic Acid to increase cell turnover, as well as Vitamin E and Green Tea with their antioxidants to help fight sun induced skin damage.

Octinoxate, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide



 class=


Have you checked out my collections on eBay yet? I'll be adding new things as I find them, such as more full spectrum coverage sunscreens.

My eBay Collections were curated as part of my collaboration with eBay #followitfindit and Style Coalition.

5 comments

  1. Hi Christine, thanks for putting up this post. I love love sunscreens and use them daily and reapply regularly. I've used the Neutorgena Pure and Free liquid sunscreen, among others in the brand, and did not like it because it turned my face super white while the Helioplex ones are greasy. La Roche Posay is a great brand but also greasy on the face. I've been using EltaMd, their entire brand is based on Zinc Oxide sunblocks but it does not go on white, it's a nice creamy formulation that dries clear. Good for makeup application afterwards. But keep up your blog posts, love your favorite top ten products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Aveeno and Neutrogena. I use them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also about to suggest Elta MD sunscreens! I like UV Physical version. I think some of the others in the line-up are also full spectrum. I'm currently using the Skinceuticals SPF 50 Physical Fusion and I'm liking that one so far (but I haven't used in full-on sunlight yet). I'm a bit wary of Helioplex--many products irritate my skin and I hear Helioplex is a problem for many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great help! i saw this after i ordered the paula's choice new sunscreen though. how would we go about checking if the sunscreen we already have (or are interested in buying) complies with the new regulation and covers broad spectrum?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunscreens have to list the active ingredients since they're technically over the counter drugs. Just check the list against the chart up above!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...