ELF Jumbo Eyeshadow Stick Review: Pass On This One

I Bought It
ELF Jumbo Eyeshadow Stick Review

Usually I'm a big fan of shadow sticks. They're time saving, a few swipes, blot with a finger and you're done. The trick is finding one that has staying power. Something about the shadow sticks seems to make them prone to fading and creasing, within a few hours you were better off without any shadow at all. It looks awful.

I don't usually even mention the shadow sticks that don't work out on the blog, but I keep getting asked about this one, so I bought one to try out. Initially I was impressed, the color really is very pretty! There's great shimmer and depth to the color. But despite trying out this shadow stick with (and without) many different eye primers, I can't seem to get it to stick around longer than an hour or so. I've blended it with my finger and with brushes, that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

I did read a few reviews on-line where people were using the shadow stick as a base for shadows. When used that way it can add some very pretty depth and intensity to powder shadows, but the staying power still isn't great. I get about 4 or 5 hours of wear this way, much less than a normal shadow primer. I would prefer to use an eyeliner in this way, the wear is much better for most given how smudge resistant most eyeliners are, my favorite for this are the Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencils.

Although $2 sounds like a steal, I would definitely pass on these shadow sticks.

ELF Jumbo Eyeshadow Stick

4 comments

  1. Pretty colour, that's a shame about the staying power though. It would be a bargain if it lasted longer!

    Holly | holly la beau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm obsessed with finding eye crayons that actually have some colour payoff. The Covergirl 'Flamed Out' ones were the worst by a long shot, Max Factor and L'Oreal's aren't *too* bad and with Rimmel only the darker colours work. I thought maybe I had weirdly oily eyelids but I'm obviously not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The CoverGirl ones worked ok for me, I haven't tried MF (not here in the US anymore) or L'Oreal. There are some from NYX that are good, they're going to be in a post later today.
    My eyelids are usually oily at all, but with these shadow sticks they look like I have major issues? So strange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I have to pass on this too for its staying powers. I prefer long lasting one but I like the color.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...