My Daily Sunscreen Moisturizer, Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer SPF 15

kiehls ultra facial moisturizer spf 15, moisturizer, daily sunscreen, spf 15, reviewI keep mentioning this product over and over and over. In fact, it was one of the first reviews I did for this blog.

I started using Kiehl's when I was a senior in college. I remember being frustrated with skin that seemed totally out of control. My combination skin was very oily and dry at the same time. I was having breakouts. I had tried a lot of different mass market products and nothing was helping. I read about Kiehl's in an issue of Allure, and hightailed it to my nearby Neiman Marcus (ok, maybe not so nearby, it's about a 45 minute drive to that mall), where I spent about 10% of my savings account at the Kiehl's counter. I bought cleaners, toners, lip balms, masks and of course this moisturizer. My skin loved the change. There was a marked decrease in breakouts and while my skin was still combination, it was at least no longer a study in extremes. I've been an avid Kiehl's fan ever since.

Ultra Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 is the product I turn to today (over 10 years later) in between product testings or when my skin just needs a break. This moisturizer is pretty amazing. It is light and milky. It's hydrating without being too much for my oily t-zone, sinks in immediately and is the perfect preparation for makeup application.





This product offers SPF 15, with UVA and UVB coverage. I realize that it is not full broad spectrum coverage, but it's a sacrifice I've made to use a product with sunscreen that I can tolerate every day. I really can not tell that the sunscreen is present. There is no sunscreen smell and I can't tell the difference between the lotions that come with or without sunscreen. I only buy the sunscreen version now.


Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer SPF 15
I think I've bought about 20 bottles or so of this stuff. No joke. I buy the 8.4 ounce size now.

9 comments

  1. I think its so important that people use SPF daytime moisturizers! Its skin cancer awareness month so I think this post is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the UV Protective Everyday Facial Moisturizing Cream? It's also SPF 15, but has full protection with Mexoryl SX. I use it every day and absolutely love it. I also have combo skin and it moisturizes the drier parts without over-moisturizing my t-zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Moni!
    I've used a prior version of it, the UV Protective Suncare Sunscreen, but it wasn't an "everyday" version. Actually, I don't see the one I tried on the website anymore so it may no longer be made. If I ever make it through all the sunscreens I'm testing (and the one I heard about today from a little Kiehl's birdie), I'll pick that one up next! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy very much your blog.
    I´m completly agree with you, SPF is necessary everyday...

    I write a blog in spanish and I recommended last week another Kiehl´s :
    ULTRA DELIGHT DAILY UV DEFENSE SPF 50

    http://beautyblog.es/proteccion-solar

    I hope you enjoy it too!
    Susana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that Kiehl's has Ultra Facial Moisturizer in SPF 30 now. They describe it as broad spectrum vs. UVA and UVB rays, so I'm wondering if they changed their formula...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiehl's now offers this moisturizer in SPF 30. Does this one offer more sun protection (it's marketed as broad spectrum)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny- the definition of "Broad Spectrum" has changed, it needs to hit UVA1 in order to be labelled that way. The ingredient list on Kiehl's website is wrong for both products (I only own the SPF 15), but I don't know how it was reformulated. Sorry, wish I could help more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine,
    Thank you so much for your blog! I find it extremely informative and helpful.
    I'm now pregnant. And I remember you've recommended Kiehl's ultra facial moisturiser spf 15 to be used during pregnancy. I cannot find the ingredients of the spf 15 anymore online. Please could you help to see if the spf 30 version is still safe for pregnancy. As I live in the UK, the ingredients list below might be slightly different from the US version. Appreciate your help and have a good day.
    Kerry

    Kiehl's ultra facial moisturiser spf 30
    Aqua/water, Homosalate, Octocrylene, propylene glycol, ethylhexyl salicylate, dicaprylyl ether, glycerin, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, peg-100 stearate, glyceryl stearate, squalane, hydrogenated polyisobutene, phenoxyethanol, sorbitan oleate, caprylyl glycol, acrylates/c10-30 alkyl acrylate, crosspolymer, triethanolamine, cera alba/beeswax, tocopherol, disodium edta, stearic acid, myristyl alcohol, prunus amygdalus dulcis oil/sweet almond oil, prunus armeniaca kernel oil/apricot kernel oil, persea gratissima oil/avocado oil


    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kerry,
    I wouldn't use the version you've listed due to the ethylhexyl salicylate. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...