Manicure 101: Cuticle Care, Perfect Cuticles are Easy!

how to get perfect cuticles

cuticle care
Over the last 4 days I've shared with you all of my steps in creating a great looking manicure at home. The problem? I haven't shown you what I do to maintain it, and I keep saying "Acetone, Acetone, Acetone." Which means that if you've been following my directions from this week your fingers and cuticles are probably cracked and bleeding by now because they are so dry!

So, the key to having great looking nails and cuticles really is moisture. Yes, even when you have on polish, you need to keep moisturizing. I am really not so good at remembering to keep applying moisturizing products to my nails, but I do apply before bed every night and this seems to be often enough for me. My favorite method of moisturizing my cuticles is to apply a cuticle oil such as CND Solar Oil first. The oil step seems to really be key for me, don't skip out on the oil! After the oil has had a few minutes to sink in I apply a thick cuticle cream to "lock" it into my cuticle. My favorite is Orly Cuticle Therapy Cream, but the Kiehl's cuticle cream works great as well. The point is to have a fairly occlusive cream on over the oil.

On days that I'm making an effort to remember my cuticles, I use hydroxy acid moisturizers on my cuticles. Pictured here are products from CND and Poshe (I have the old packaging of both, I stocked up about a year ago and am still using them up). The idea behind these products is pretty simple: they hydrate and the hydroxy acids help to exfoliate. When I'm using these a few times a day I find that my cuticles look amazing, I don't need to use cuticle remover and I can go ages between hang nails.



how to get perfect cuticles
no more hang nails or nasty cuticles


4 comments

  1. Cool post but it really bothers me that your cuticles are covered in nailpolish in the image for the post. Considering that it's a post about cuticles, one would expect you to clean them when you paint the nail plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm.... I did? I don't see the polish you're talking about. Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cuticles look really good! I'm a fan of CND Solar Oil, I apply it throughout the day because my cuticles tend to be on the overly dry side. It's hard to keep them looking nice this time of year. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you would LOVE BREVENA Hand and Cuticle Therapy Balm! My sister is a nurse in MN and its all she will use because of how often she has to wash her hands. They used to crack and bleed during the winter months and now they are so much better!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...