My New Darker Hair: Lots of Adjustments!



New Darker Hair
Earlier today in my Valentine's day look you may have caught a sneak peek at my new hair. I started thinking about going darker recently (hello, Mila Kunis obsession) and during my Live Styling Event, Joey thought that "darker and richer" would be better for me.

So, last week I went from (very grown out) highlighted light brown/blondish hair to...

This new darker auburn color. You may have seen some of my sneak peek pictures on my Instagram, and I think these 2 pics from there are probably the best representation of how my hair really looks. It is a bit darker and redder than I had thought I'd be going, but once my stylist, Heather, and I had the hair color book in front of us, we both picked the same little hair swatch. It's a bit redder now than it was on the swatch, but she said it would fade a little with the first few washings (this is a demi-permanent color). This color is also very similar to my mom's natural hair color (though, this is a bit darker) so that is likely why it works so well for me.

I'm finally starting to recognize myself when I look in the mirror (rather than still thinking "who is that??"). I'm just trying to figure out all of the other adjustments that such a drastic change in hair color results in.

First, while I have about 20 foundations, I've noticed that all but about 1 (which I'm wearing in that right instagram pic above) are about 1/2 shade too dark and a bit too yellow. While this wasn't really noticeable with good blending before, it's really obvious now with darker hair. I think that's the main reason I felt like I looked a bit plastic in the pics earlier today. My hair was curled a bit strange (it looks better as 2nd day hair with this cut/color), my foundation color was a bit too yellow... you get the idea.

I also have noticed that my eye makeup now seems to somehow disappear with this darker hair! I need to break out some new and darker colors, get a new foundation (I already ran to ULTA this morning to do that) and I need to be a bit heavier/darker in my shadow application.

I'm looking back at pics of a few of my favorite brunettes for makeup ideas.

Obviously Mila was the biggest inspiration for this look, so I'm going to be rocking a lot more and darker smoky eyes! I think I need to buy the LORAC Pro Palette now, it's perfect for a Mila eye.



Kim Porter, one of my fave makeup artists (look for a great wedding makeup post from her very soon) thought I should look to Emma Stone for some inspiration. I don't have Emma's amazing light eyes, but her hair color is closer than Mila's to mine now, and Kim is right! Emma is always flawless. The key seems to be always having more color somewhere, a lippie or an eye... there can't be a bare eye and a nude lippie, I look blah that way.

Finally, the last of my favorite brunettes, Jen and Emily. Definitely time to start playing up my eyes a little darker!

Have you made any drastic changes in hair color? What tips do you have for me?

15 comments

  1. You look a little like Tina Fey now. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the new color is beautiful! I know what you mean about thinking "Who's that?" at the mirror. When I've gone darker/redder than my usual light brown I've found (the hard way) that red hair brings out any ruddiness so you may need a yellower foundation to tone it down if you tend toward redness. Also, lipstick and blush can't be fuschia/blue-based pinks or reds - you have to go neutral or warm, but you definitely need color on your face with the carker hair so you don't look sallow or washed out.
    All these comments are "you" general and not "you" specific, since obviously Christine has gorgeous milkmaid skin and great sense about colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rebecca LOL! So funny, I don't feel like I have that milk maid skin! I get a little red near my nose (that's my rosacea coming out), but it isn't much. If anything, I feel like this hair color is making my skin look more white/pale and less like typical pale skin if that makes sense.

    So much of my stuff is cool toned, and the more neutral things are working better, but really warm items (I don't have a lot, I usually give it away to my mom) isn't quite right on me. I think this is going to be a little bit hard to balance with the tones!

    It's good to hear that I'm not the only one that has had these problems.



    Also, I've heard before that I look a bit like Tina Fey (you should see me in my glasses), and the curled hair definitely contributes to that! I think it's a good thing, right? I think she's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new hair color! I think it gives a nice contrast with your porcelain skin. Very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely need the Lorac Pro palette! it's my favorite lately. I go between medium brown and dark brown/red frequently and one thing I've noticed is I always have to have a mega dark crease color or risk looking, meh. Also, foundation has to match exactly perfectly or it looks off. I think having dark hair with light skin makes everything more contrasted on your face, so if your foundation was a 1/2 shade off before it'll look even more so now! I love the finish on NAKED skin foundation, I'm their lightest shade and it's perfect on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol! I just saw this!!! Isn't it amazing how color and cut can change everything? I recently got bangs (my inspiration was Nicole Richie)and it has changed my entire makeup look. I am rocking darker, smokey eyes all the time now and I love it! btw..I have a total crush on Mila!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine, I love the fact that you were brave and jumped into a new color for your hair!It looks so great on you! I keep toying with a new color and the closest that I went so far was getting highlights last year, and I now I want to go for a different color. I'm so desperately wanting to cover the grey! My stylist and I have been talking about it lately!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new, darker hair. I'm a blonde, but went dark red once and for the first few weeks every time I walked by a mirror I gave myself a start! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim I love this, but you know Im going to get my hair cut, and do my own color,so scared! Now I will have to change all my makeup colors.scared! But I know who to call. luv this!!!!!! mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new hair color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you ought to give a darker shade of lipstick a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Much, much better with darker color! And, leave your hair flat, without curls. These curls are just...ugh...not good. Just my suggestion! :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandra- I agree!! I was so close to not posting the pics, I hate it in the pictures! It wasn't quite so bad in person, but there... ugh! In person flat isn't quite right, I think I need more dimension and shine or something to pull off straight in person. My stylist said as it faded in a week or so my highlights would come out more. I'm hoping that's soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...