Dove Cool Moisture Shampoo

Recently, I was approached by Dove to review some of their new hair care products. Now, you know that I've been very devoted to my Pureology Shampoo & Conditioner for several years now. I'm to the point that I'm skeptical that any other shampoo and conditioner will help my hair at all, that's how devoted I am to my Pureology!

Having said all of that, I received Dove's Cool Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner in the mail. Honestly, I really like these products! According to the Dove website, they are "Formulated with a touch of cucumber and green tea fragrance. Leaves hair clean, soft and revitalized. For all hair types."

Lets take a peak at the first couple of ingredients of each of these products, just for fun.

Shampoo
-Water (Aqua)
-Sodium Laureth Sulfate (detergent)
-Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate (that detergent that is great at removing oil)
-Cocoamidopropyl Betaine (another detergent, based on coconut, it's mild and likely used here for its high lather properties)
-Sodium Chloride- Salt, a processing agent
-Glycol Distearate- a wax, likely used to help coat the hair
-Glycerin- Humectant for moisture
-Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Oleate, Polyquatemium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, PPG-9, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ex. Violet 2 (CI 60730).


Conditioner
Water (Aqua)
Cetearyl Alcohol (a fatty alcohol conditioner)
Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone)
Centrimonium Chloride (a surfactant)
Dimethiconol (silicone)
Fragrance (Parfum), Quaternium-18, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

As you can see, after comparing the first couple of ingredients (I stopped at the fragrance) to the list in the shampoo post, and a quick google search of the others, we can identify a lot of the items in these products. It looks like a lot of surfactants are included in the shampoo (should be great at cleaning), but the addition of glycerin which is a humectant does mean they were thinking about moisture. Seeing a couple of silicones in the conditioner, along with a fatty alchohol conditioner are also likely good signs!

I've been using the Dove Products for over a week now, and my hair is soft and manageable, and it is actually taking me less time in the morning to dry my hair! I didn't think such a thing was possible! The products have a great cucumber/green tea smell, which I find to be very refreshing in the morning. The smell reminds me of something, but I can't quite place it. I think I may have used a similarly smelling product once in a hotel or something, I know it will hit me some night while lying in bed!

The shampoo has a great lather (and although we learned in the shampoo post that lather doesn't mean it's cleaning any better, I still love lather!), and I love how easily the shampoo rinses out of my hair. The conditioner has the same great scent, and has definitely kept my hair soft and easy to style.

My only complaint is that I have a dry scalp, which my Pureology seemed to really help keep under control. Since changing to the Dove, my scalp has become itchy (though I'm not yet flaky). Truthfully, this product is not meant to help this problem. However, it has become kinda painful, so I know that I will be switching back to my Pureology for this issue alone.

The Dove was most definitely equivalent to my Pureology in terms of hydrating my hair (just not my scalp), and keeping my dry hair manageable, flexible and shiny. It was superior to my Pureology in terms of ease of styling, it took less time each morning to dry and style my hair with Dove. And, it was vastly superior in terms of cost, Pureology is much more expensive on a per-ounce cost than Dove.

In short, if you don't have my dry, itchy scalp issues (I'm an odd ball this way) I think that the Dove shampoo will be a great option for you! While the Cool Moisture line is meant for all hair types, you can also check out Dove Love Your Hair for a quiz to find your best match from the Dove Hair Care line. While you're there check out their contest, you could win a trip to New York!

Dove's Cool Moisture Collection
Order a free sample directly from Dove

1 comment

  1. I am also addicted to PureOlogy for its moisturizing properties! Good to know that Dove Cool Moisture is on par with it. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...