Success! Heat Free Curls Despite Long Layers

Over night, heat free curls
Success!

So, apparently the 3rd 4th try post makes the charm. If you've been following along for the last few weeks, I've been attempting to curl my hair at night. I did not want to use curlers, even little foam ones. I feared ridicule from my hubby (he is a nice guy, but he would laugh since he finds my beauty antics amusing) and strange looks from a half asleep 8 month old at 3 am who may (or may not) recognize mommy.

(If you haven't been following along, first I was excited about sockbun curls, which kept falling out at night. I tried curling my hair with a head band, which worked but some areas were flat (too much hair, not enough band...) So I tried 2 headbands. In a nutshell, all of these attempts were foiled by my crazy thick hair (I have a ton of hair, enough for about 3 people), the length of my hair (it is past my shoulders but somehow too short for the sock bun to work well), or the long layers that I have (the shorter layers love to fall out and refuse to be in a sock bun).

So, via another video, I finally succumbed to using something more like a curler. Well. A rag curler.

Of course, like all things inspirational, this technique was via another Pinterest Pin, that led to a Babble blog post looking at life changing hair videos (OMG, the first 2 are the ones I've already watched... is the entire world on Pinterest??), and the third was this one from YaYa Lifestyle.


So, this isn't really so terribly different than any other tutorial or mention in a magazine telling you to wrap your hair around a ribbon or scrap of t-shirt to curl it. She uses socks, she shows you how she wraps her hair around it and then rolls the whole thing up.

I already have some socks that I was trying to use for my sock buns that weren't so stable. I cut those in half (so I have 4 scraps of material to wrap around my hair), wet my hair and got going!

Heat free curls for long layers
I only wrapped my hair into 3 sections, though for smaller curls a smaller section would be better. I wanted bigger curls that would be easy to brush out into a mostly straight style. So, 3 sections.

I found that the hair I initially wrapped around the sock (before rolling the whole thing up) was pretty much the part that got curled. I think this is because I wound it around in a corkscrew, rather than the looser rolling. You can see this with the tighter (and higher up) curls that I had in the back. Those were wound tighter and higher up. Because of the way everything is wound and then tied, taking this down was way easier than the other techniques and left the curls intact.

Since this was second day hair I styled it with a dry shampoo. My current fave is by Oliver Ifergan, that stuff adds amazing volume, never makes my hair look dusty/white and the nozzle doesn't clog. I need to write an entire post about it. I sprayed the dry shampoo on my crown, tousled my hair with my fingers and then sprayed some hair spray on the whole thing. Quick and easy, it was about 3 minutes total styling time in the morning.

Heat free curls for long layers

7 comments

  1. this looks great! will def be on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. get out of here!! 3 pieces of fabric did that to your hair???? I am so jealous and so going to find socks right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I am going to try this tonight with my short (shoulder length bob) and see what happens! Might look cute. Will let you know.
    Mom's Life Made Easy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good result for your hair.

    I might give it a try, but I use the bun method that you posted about earlier. I use a bun form from Conair (sold for $5 at Ulta, Sallys might have it too) instead of a sock and roll my slightly damp or even dry hair in it. I can secure it with three bobby pins. It is much looser in the morning when I wake up, but it still holds during the night. I just have to put it high on my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your hair looks amazing! I'll definitely be trying it out (I tried all the other ones you tried as well, lol). Thanks for keeping us posted!

    Kindness is the best accessory,
    Rebecca
    rebeccakelsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too funny. I remember my mom telling me about rag-rolling her hair in her teens (c. 1940). Seeing it used so many years later is a hoot. Nice results, though, and I'm sure it's easier to sleep on than rollers.

    moushka

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...