Freeze 24/7 Skincare Review: Does the GABA really help?

Freeze 24/7 Skin Care

Somehow, I missed out on a lot of the Freeze 24/7 anti-aging skin care hype a few years ago when this brand first hit the market. I heard about it, was interested, but was so busy with other products that I was testing that I just never bought it. Recently they asked if I'd review their products, and knowing my readers would be as interested as I am (yes, you guys email me to ask about this brand!), I jumped at the chance!

What sets Freeze 24/7 apart from other brands is the unique ingredient mix that includes GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid). While it acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain, it is also found out and about in the rest of your body. In general you can think of GABA as inhibitory/calming. What we're taking advantage of with Freeze 24/7 is that it will cause muscles to relax. While this isn't going to have quite the same effect that actually freezing those muscles will have (a'la Botox), it is definitely going to help make your face look more smooth and ease your wrinkles a bit.

Freeze 24/7 did pay a research firm to look into their Instant Targeted Wrinkle Treatment and back up their claims. They had 25 test subjects and they all said that within 10 minutes of application their wrinkles were between 50-90% less noticeable. Longer term, subjects saw less issues with rosacea, stretch marks and smaller pore size.

You should note that while this ingredient is really Freeze 24/7's "claim to fame", it isn't in all of their products. You'll find it in the Instant Targeted Wrinkle Treatment and Anti-Aging Eye Serum. Both should be applied only to treatment areas, while the companion products (what I've tested here) are well.... companions. Since you only apply the Instant Targeted Wrinkle Treatment to areas that you have wrinkles or areas to soothe, you'll need something in other areas. As well, that treatment doesn't really moisturize.

(I know I'm going to be asked, so I'm just going to say that I didn't test the Instant Targeted Wrinkle Treatment and I really don't think that I would have been able to adequately do so. While I'm *almost* 35, I have basically no wrinkles and wouldn't have seen a difference. I could have told you about the cooling sensation that I'm told many experience with application. That's about it. I was much more interested in the other products, which is what I did try out.)

Double Scoop Intensive Moisturizer
Freeze 24/7 describes this moisturizer as "intense hydration" and they certainly were right!

This is a white cream that isn't very thick, and doesn't really have much scent. It sinks into my skin pretty quickly and there's a very small amount of residue left on my skin. I can still apply makeup over it though. The cream definitely was hydrating, and as a result it made my skin a bit plump and just... glowy.

However, it was just too much for my t-zone this time of year. Even when used just at night, it was making me very shiny by mid-day so I only used it for 3 weeks. I probably am not the best person (combination skin) to be testing this product at this time of year (90+ with high humidity). I'm holding on to this for the mid-winter dryness that I experience in January. If you're dry this will be great for you! Combination gals should hold off until the weather cools down a tad.







Ingredients
Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Gynostemma Pentaphyllum Extract, Sorbitan Stearate, Glycerin, Butrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Polysilicone-11, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Boswellia Serrata Extract, Hydrolyzed Hibiscus Esculentus Extract, Dextrin, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Carnosine, Sorbityl Laurate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Triethanolamine, Sodium PCA, Thioctic Acid, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben




Skin Glace
This is interesting, because it's a cleanser, but also a mask. And this strange foaming thing that it does.... I haven't really tried anything quite like this before and I do really like it.

This is a minty/leafy green that has a bit of pearlescence to it. It has a cucumber scent, and overall just smells kind of fresh and clean. It feels a bit silky, and when you rub a little on to your skin and let it sit there it will actually foam (while on your skin), and just deep clean everything for you. You can rinse it off right away or leave it for a few minutes like a mask and then rinse it off. It rinses off easily and fully without any problems. I had no afterwash tightness or irritation and it removed all of my makeup easily. (I didn't use it to remove eye makeup people, it isn't meant for that.)

When used as a mask I mostly notices that I was a bit cleaner, as if I'd used my Clarisonic. Maybe I was a bit smoother as well, but that's it. I did this every few days and did like how it worked.








Ingredients
Aqua (Water, Eau), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methy Perfluorobutyl Ether, Methyl Perfluoroisobutyl Ether, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sorbitol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coco-Glucoside, Cyclomethicone, Kaolin, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Acrylates/Aminoacrylates/C10-30 Alkyl PEG-20 Itaconate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Sodium PCA, Isononyl Isononanoate, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Yeast Polysaccharides, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Polyquaternium-7, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Parfum (Fragrance), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 42090 (Blue 1), CI 19140 (Yellow 5)



IceCrystals
IceCrystals is the Freeze 24/7 scrub, and it does fit my (very tight) guidelines for facial scrub approval! The crystals are actually the white you see in the picture. They are very fine, evenly sized and not at all sharp. There's enough of them to get the job done but they don't over do it easily, so you don't end up scrubbing off your skin. There are occasional larger green crystals, but really, there aren't enough of them to help out much. (They're also not sharp, so they won't hurt, I think they're mostly there to be pretty.) It rinses off really easily without any left behind grit messing up my makeup!

I'm leaving this one on my countertop to use a few times a week. I think it's pretty goof proof and I do really like the colors, it's just pretty!








Ingredients
Aqua [Water], Magnesium Oxide, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Poloxamer 182 Dibenzoate, Isohexadecane, Jojoba Esters, Parfum [Fragrance], Polysorbate 80, Ocimum Basilicum [Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Oil], Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, CI 77289 [Chromium Oxide Green]




What do you think about the idea of the GABA? Do you want to temporarily "freeze"(ish) your face? I'm not a Botox girl, but perhaps making things move a little less... yeah, that idea is a bit appealing. Am I alone in that?

Freeze 24/7

2 comments

  1. Okay, I would really like to know the mechanism of GABA and its receptors in our FACIAL muscle cells. I have not heard yet that the facial nerve cells produce GABA!?!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much all nerve motor cells that go to the periphery produce GABA. This is thought to be one of the mechanisms of spasticity, a decrease in GABA. That in turn increases muscle tone and makes the wrinkles more apparent. At least according to the neuro books I've read (and also just double checked)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...