Preventing "Summer Hair" From Happening to You!

We have all done it at some point in our lives, admit it that you have too. I know that I did this one summer in college, I was convinced that if I laid out in the sun enough even my pale Irish skin would become tan. It did, once I started using self tanner. But, it really was my hair that suffered the most. My light brown/dark blonde hair is very easily fried by the sun, and I was a bit of a mess by the end of the summer! I had been bleached very blonde by the sun, it was dry, full of split ends and pretty much the definition of "Summer Hair."

Les Haverty, Artistic Director of FHI Heat says, "the beach, swimming pools, and many outdoor activities are about to cause aggravation because they can adversely affect your hair's moisture and color." The end result? Lifeless hair that literally crackles when you touch it!


Kattia Solano, the head stylist and founder of Butterfly Studio in New York City says that the best way to fix Summer Hair is to prevent it from occurring in the first place. She recommends keeping up with your trims during the summer, every 5-6 weeks if possible.

Cleansing the hair with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner can greatly affect the cuticle. "I recommend sulfate free shampoos because they use natural cleansers to clean the hair without using the harsh sulfate detergents," says Haverty. "I would also recommend an acidifying conditioner. These are usually citrus-based conditioners which have a pH value between 3.0 and 3.7, and remember that hair's natural pH is 4.5 to 5.5. Acidifying conditioners help seal the cuticle around the color molecules on the hair shaft and allow for the color to last longer!" (I am now wondering about the pH of my cleanser and conditioners, but I don't know how to get a hold of this info). Wash your hair immediately after any pool or ocean time as both salt and chlorine can strip your hair and ruin the hair color you spent so much time and money to get!

As well, "post-summer hair revival should be all about treatments, treatments, treatments." Solano adds, "There are many great in-salon treatments that you can also take home with you to maintain healthy hair. I recommend buying a great hair masque, like Age Recharge Masque by Keratase, and applying it twice a week if your hair is parched from the summer sun." At Butterfly Studio they even offer a super intense version of this treatment with Age Recharge, Euphoria Extract and Vitamin E (I don't know what that Euphoria Extract is either, but the name sure sounds great!)

I personally have had great success with Creme of Nature's Jojoba and Olive Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment (which is incredibly intense moisture) as well as Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask is which great but not quite as intense (and frankly is great for all but the driest of us). Periodic treatments throughout the summer will help!

Finally don't forget to protect your hair from UV rays as well! My favorite product is Frederic Fekkai Sun Protectant Spray. But, if you don't want to buy one, Haverty likes to make his own.
• Boil 2 cups of bottled water
• Add 4 tablespoons of SPF 40 or higher sunscreen (lotion or cream works best)
• Stir until well emulsified
• Let cool
• Put into a clean spray bottle with sprayer nozzle.


Butterfly Studio Salon
Fhi Heat
image-Beauty Heaven

1 comment

  1. thanks for the recipe...
    it saves us a few bucks!
    Summer hair ain't sexy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...