Speed Waver? Can You Crimp Your Way to Perfect Beachy Waves?

Speed WAver, review, hair crimper, fast beachy perfect waves, veronica lake
In elementary school if I wanted to feel really cool, I'd convince my mom to crimp my hair. It was the 80's (wow, I'm old) and the hour or so she spent putting tiny zigzags into my very long, thick hair made me feel rad. Yes, rad.

So, while I've featured any number of posts on beachy waves over the past 4 1/2 years (beachy waves via special blowdryer, beachy waves via double barreled curling iron, beachy waves with a flat iron, or beachy waves via velcro curling strips as quick examples), I never thought that I'd be posting about beachy waves obtained via a crimper. Because really, that's what this thing is.

Read on to see how the speed waver did.


So, as is the case with about 95% of the pics that I take of my hair, I have gotten so excited that I forgot to put on a lippie prior to taking these pics. Note to self, at least swipe on one of the 20 lip glosses found in your pocket at any given time prior to taking a pic for the interwebz. Ignore my pale lips and focus on the fact that about 15 minutes before my hair was stick straight without a wave in sight.

Regardless, let me say that I thought the Speed Waver, which really is essentially a big crimper from the 1980's, did a pretty great job. The design is sturdy, and I really loved that at the end of the plates there is plastic to keep me from burning myself. Simply plug it in and about 30 seconds later it is heated up and ready to go. The heat level can be very easily adjusted with a little dial. I recommend starting with a lower heat level and then working your way up if you find it just isn't working for your hair. This thing can get hot. I sectioned off my hair and started with pretty decent sized chunks of my lower layers, working my way up to the top of my head. I held for a count of 7 before moving on to the next section of hair.

Don't worry about starting right next to the root of your hair or matching things up perfectly as you work your way down a section of hair- imperfection will get you a better result. I held the waver parallel to the floor, but by working with the waver more vertical you could easily add a few Veronica Lake waves to the front of your hair as well. My entire head takes about 10-15 minutes, which I thought was pretty fast given how much hair I have and my inexperience with the waver.

The waves lasted all day for 2 days straight with only a little bit of gel (I used VO5 Perfect Hold Gel since it is so lightweight and not sticky but still offers great hold). The response from my friends was amazing- everyone seemed to love how the waves looked!


Speed Waver

8 comments

  1. Remember when it was fun to crimp your hair a couple of years back? It came back, if briefly. I loved crimping my hair in the 80's! (I too am 'old')...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I loved crimping my hair in the 80's too!! It's nice -- nostalgic -- to see the crimper being used again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks promising. My hair is naturally wavy but stick straight in some areas. I might use this as a way to even out the wave in my hair! Thanks for the review and you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these waves! Very natural looking and no crease marks ;) I may have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Christine! Motherhood agrees with you because you look amazing. The Speed Waver may have helped your hair, but you are glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great comments everyone. Clearly I have fooled you all by super hydrating my skin to achieve a glowing, not at all super tired look (up every 3 hours for baby + on-call phone calls on top of that)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so pretty here Christine! The waves look great on you! And, lol, you totally brought back 80s memories for me too...I remember crimping my hair back then too! You got great results with this iron!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look amazing. I love the curly look on you. I haven't used a crimper in ages but I never imagined you could get results like this. Lately my curls have been flat and coming out more like waves, I need something like this for definition.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...