New Mommy Beauty: Faking Volume

Mommy, New Mom, Beauty, Tricks, Hints, Time Savers
Sam Villa, add volume to hair
One of the worst beauty issues to hit most women in the fourth trimester is the hair loss. Going from the super thick, lustrous hair of pregnancy to losing handfuls of it a day. And it can last for up to a year. (I am fully admitting here that this is postpartum change that I was dreading the most, I've always had thick hair and a change like this.... hard to cope with.)

Sam Villa, the Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue and founder of the Sam Villa brand, has a great method for faking the volume that was lost. Time consuming? Yes. I can't imagine doing this on a daily basis, but this could be amazing for a night out.

• Isolate hair in the crown and nape area, pin and set aside.
• Starting 1-2” away from the front hairline, take vertical slice of hair, hold straight out from the head and spray with Redken spray starch 15 versatile ironing spray to protect from heat and hold texture.
• At the base of the slice only, compress hair vertically with Sam Villa’s TEXTURÔ texturizing iron (tip of the iron pointing upwards) to imprint texture. Work vertically around the head until finished.
• Drop crown and nape sections down to hide created texture. The volume at the base will create beautiful natural fullness in fine hair.

Sam Villa

4 comments

  1. I have tried this. I have fine hair. It works!

    It seems I was quite ahead of the times... about a year and a half ago and thought "I KNOW! I'll get a crimper and crimp my underneath sections"

    Now there's a load of these micro-crimpers out in the shops.

    And it's pretty good so long as you don't over do it. Although my experiments have been with a regular sized crimping iron and not these new skinny micro-crimpers which I'm sure get closer into the root and work well.

    I'd also like to add that lightly and quickly crimping a difficult kink or cowlick in the hair then blow drying it smooth with a barrel brush can help control it. It sort of confuses it and forces it to play nice!

    If you don't wash your hair everyday the crimp/volume effect should last a second day too. Possibly making it do-able for more regular occasions and not just nights out?

    Nice post x

    I don't know if you know (I'm sort of spreading the word) I've got a giveaway on my blog at the moment if you want to pop by and enter. :-)

    Cheers!

    Clever Rabbit Beauty Blog
    Polish. Potions. Whatever.

    Follow me on twitter: @Clever_Rabbit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Its Mehak from peachesandblush.com

    Thats a nice tip !. Even without pregnancy i suffer from acute hair loss...have been to all the dermatologists and doctors in town but nthings really happened. So i have to do with just making my existing hair look fuller and thicker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good news with most postpartum hair loss is that is signals regrowth. Each hair that falls out does so because its resting hair follicle is turning on hair growth again. The new hair is pushing the existing resting hair out of the hair follicle and you see it as lost hair. It takes about a month for the new little hair to get to the skin surface. Once there it will grow about 1 centimeter per month (meaning between 1/4 and 1/2 inch). Yes, funny little short hairs will poke up off the scalp making styling an adventure, but new and growing hairs are the sign that the body is finally feeling normal after pregnancy and delivery. This process may begin as soon as 2 months post delivery. Wishing you lots of new little hairs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Bailey to the rescue! That is exactly what I was hoping would be going on. Luckily I wrote this thinking I'd be postpartum now (instead I'm just 41 weeks pregnant...), so I'm still dreading the hair fall out. I'm hoping it isn't too bad, but my hair does grow insanely fast at baseline (about 1 1/2 inches a month. yes, really) so here's hoping that the little hairs and thin hair don't last too long.

    Mehak- I hope this tip helps some! I haven't tried it yet, I'm hunting down a little crimper that is reasonably priced.

    CleverRabbit- Thanks for letting us know that it works! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, comments with random links (which I count as spam), anything not in english (again, spam) and comments that are completely unrelated to anything will all be deleted.

Never miss a post
Name: 
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields
Correct invalid entries
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...